ICDE is committed to advising the UNESCO Global Education Coalition on how to support countries and their student population, affected by COVID-19 school closures, in scaling up their best distance learning practices and reaching learners who are most at risk.
International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE)
International or regional organization
Established : 1938
Education and COVID-19 Response
To Empower teachers and improve their status, because that is where our member’s strengths are.
Our members are institutions and employers of teachers and experts on online and distance learning. Even though digital divide and lack of connectivity is a crucial issue, it is not so easy for ICDE to actively support work in this domain.
• Survey to identify ICDE’s community knowledge, best practices and needs related to empowerment of teachers and teacher’s training
• Dissemination of results generated by UNESCO Global Education Coalition’s partners in ICDE’s networks and communication channels
• Discussions and webinars to highlight the criticality of a universal and sustainable approach of Open, Flexible, and Distance Learning - OFDL - at all levels, with focus on prioritized areas of quality, inclusive access and innovation in education and learning
ICDE is committed to:
• Collect and share ICDE’s community knowledge, best practices and needs related to at least 2 of the UNESCO Global Education Coalition’s flagship areas: Connectivity and Teachers.
• Map innovative and context-appropriate solutions, within the ICDE community, to provide education remotely, leveraging hi-tech, low-tech and no-tech approaches at global, regional and national level.
• Dissemination of the results generated by UNESCO Global Education Coalition’s partners to the ICDE community
• Advocate for a universal and sustainable approach of Open, Flexible, and Distance Learning - OFDL - at all levels, with focus on prioritized areas of quality, openness and innovation in education and learning